As a result of community feedback, Tauranga City Council has decided to delay the introduction of the bus lanes until after March 2024 when future actions on planned parking initiatives in the city will be presented to council for consideration. Learn more about the decision here. We will be working with Bay of Plenty Regional Council to ensure that when we are ready to introduce the bus lanes, it will be beneficial to both bus users and motorists who travel along Cameron Road.
When operational, buses only will use these lanes from:
Monday to Friday, 7am-9am on the western side of Cameron Road, (heading north into the city centre).
Monday to Friday, 4pm-6pm on the eastern side of Cameron Road (heading south away from the city centre).
At all other times, the part-time bus lanes will continue to be used for parking, including weekends.
Council will proactively enforce illegal use of the bus lanes. Infringements will result in fines of up to $150.
Within the next 10 years (as bus usage and demand increases), these lanes will transition to become dedicated bus lanes.
The part-time bus lanes are one of the ways the Building our future - Cameron Road, Te Papa project will help address Tauranga’s growth, revitalise a key part of our city, and provide more transport options so people don’t have to be so car dependent, all things the community has said they would like.
Bus stop changes during construction
While construction is taking place, there may be some changes to bus stops.
Current bus stop changes include:
- There is a new permanent bus stop just before Third Avenue, outside 306 Cameron Road.
- There is a temporary bus stop between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue at 384 Cameron Rd (Burger King).
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Ninth Avenue and Tenth Avenue (Pak'nSave).
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Eleventh Avenue and Twelfth Avenue (Blooms on Cameron).
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Thirteenth Avenue and Fifteenth Avenue (Tauranga Boys' College).
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Fifteenth Avenue and Sixteenth Avenue (KM Law).
- There is a temporary bus stop between Sixteenth Avenue and SH2 at 745 Cameron Road (Peke Waihanga).
- There is a new permanent bus stop just past the SH2 intersection outside 727 Cameron Road.
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Fourteenth Avenue and Thirteenth Avenue (Harvey Norman).
- The new permanent bus stop between Twelfth Avenue and Eleventh Avenue (Westpac) is temporarily closed because planned asphalting works were delayed due to last weekend's heavy rain.
- There is a new bus stop between Tenth Avenue and Ninth Avenue (The Warehouse).
- There is a temporary bus top between Sixth Avenue and Fifth Avenue at 387 Cameron Road (Ssangyong).
- There is a new permanent bus stop between Third Avenue and Second Avenue at 301 Cameron Rd (Raine and Horne Real Estate).
Signage will be in place, please refer to Baybus website and Transit Apps for further details.