Improving safety for students travelling along Links Avenue has been our priority for some time.
On our journey to make Links Avenue safer, we have implemented several initiatives, including constructing pedestrian crossings at Golf Road and Ascot Road, which is currently underway.
Further investigations, including feedback from the Links Avenue panel, identified additional safety improvements along Links Avenue.
Based on the findings, we have developed a transitional design. A transitional approach is temporary and allows for feedback from the community and school students before implementing permanent changes.
We are planning to implement the following safety improvements by the end of April 2024, subject to weather conditions:
- Calming pockets to reduce speeding and protect the existing cycle lane (between Golf Road and Spur Avenue) with planter boxes.
- Convert the two temporary speed tables on either side of Ascot Road to permanent asphalt, enhancing safety for people crossing the road.
- Widening the path outside the school to provide more space for users.
- Reduce the hours the cul-de-sac bus lanes are enforced to weekdays from 7 am to 10 am and 2 pm to 4 pm. The new hours will be implemented prior to the 2023 Christmas holidays.
- Relocating the bus stop at the Golf Road intersection into the road lane. This creates a cycle lane inside, protecting cyclists and slowing down traffic. The number of bus stops will be reduced subject to approval from the Bay of Plenty Regional Council.
We value your input and encourage your feedback on the proposed plans. Your feedback will help us review the design before seeking approval from the Council in February 2024 for implementation. Please email us your feedback regarding the proposed improvement at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 December 2023.
You can download the proposed plans below.
Links Avenue Streetscape Concept Stage 1 (5mb pdf)
We are confident these improvements will create a safer and more welcoming environment.
To keep up to date, you can visit this web page for the latest news, or please sign up for the Tauranga City Councils Weekly Bulletin for news on Links Avenue and other projects.
If you have any questions or concerns about the project, please email us at email@example.com.